Have you ever been so engrossed in something – maybe work, reading, talking to a friend, doing something you love – that you forgot to eat? Or didn’t go to sleep? Time just flew and you just realised it was dinner time but you’d skipped lunch.
One day Jesus was on His way to Galilee, and ended up taking a detour through Samaria, where he met a thirsty messed up woman at a well who got a revelation that He was the Messiah and went straight on to tell her whole city about Him…
His disciples finally caught up with Him and their first concern was “has anyone given him anything to eat?, to which He replied with some very powerful revealing words:
“My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work” – (John 4:34)
Jesus reminds us that we have another greater hunger beyond food: For purpose; for doing what fulfils us; for being busy with things that give us meaning and which make a difference. Ultimately, a deep hunger for being about the Fathers work for our lives.
Fasting reminds me that I have been called to more that “eat, drink & be merry”. It reminds me that I am not just satisfied by the stuff of this world. I am created and called to a fulfilling purpose, which is to live for the glory and cause of my Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ. This is “food” to me. This fulFILS me.
Today I am hungry.
- I’m hungry to live a more God-honouring, Spirit-empowered life
- I’m hungry to be a better father, husband, leader, friend, neighbour.
- I’m hungry for seeing many more people know Jesus in His fulness – His forgiveness, peace, comfort, restoration, freedom, amazing grace, and so much more
- I’m hungry to be more still and know that He is God.
- I’m hungry to see the church be more of what Jesus intended. More loving. More grace-filled. More full-of-the-life-of -Jesus.
- I’m hungry to see more churches planted across Europe.
- I’m hungry to see Kingdom leaders raised to influence all spheres of society
- I’m hungry for revival and reformation in this nation and across Europe
- I’m hungry for seeing breakthrough in the lives of so many struggling and stuck people
- I’m hungry for a fresh oil anointing to preach and lead as I feel called
- and I’m hungry for some Nando’s chicken!
What are you hungry for?