Much has changed in London over the twenty years we’ve been here. Here are twenty “the way it was back in 1993” facts:
- There was no internet yet. none
- No mobile phones – no iPhones, iPads, MacBooks – no Apple products!
- No Google, Wikipedia, iTunes
- No blogs to read;
- “Email” was an unknown term.
- No Facebook (“Friends” were people you actually knew and met face to face)
- No Twitter (“Followers” was another name for disciples)
- No websites – no church website to communicate through
- Phone calls home to South Africa cost 76p a minute!
- To receive one page of a fax (know what that is?!) cost us £2.50!
- There were very few churches “like ours” back then
- The Alpha course had just started and only one was running in its present form at HTB (now in 169 countries!)
- There was no Hillsong church in London
- There was no Hillsong music!
- There was no Starbucks or Costa coffee shops
- Nando’s only had two stores in London in Earls Court & Ealing!
- There were very few South Africans in London (Before the new South Africa, and Nelson Mandela was not yet elected President of South Africa)
- We recorded on “tapes” – not even CD’s!
- Our first computer had a 256MB hard drive (Thats 1/60th of my phone’s capacity today!)
- But Jesus was the same as He always was, and is, and will be: Lord & Saviour, and builder of His church!
Were they the “good old days”? Maybe just the “old days”…. and I’m thankful for then and now.
Ecclesiastes 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts,