Text: Jonah 1 verse 1&2 The word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai: “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.”
This text requires no specific context from the book of Jonah, because it’s a theme that runs throughout the Scriptures: Besides for creation & redemption, God has chosen to work through men and women to fulfil His purposes on the earth today. Throughout history the destiny of people, cities, nations hang on the knife-edge as those whom God has called wrestle with their response to obey or not.
God’s got a “go to” call for each believer’s life. There are many places I’d like to “go to” (especially when its winter in London!), but the difference between where I want to go, and where God wants me to go, is calling. A few thoughts from my message (listen on the link below):
- Calling Definition: “A calling is God’s personal, individual invitation to carry out the unique task he has for you.”
- Calling is living with a sense that you are doing whatever you are doing in response to His leading, and for the purpose of being salt & light.
- Make sure that you understand the difference between a job, career and “vocation.”
- Always remember that God always calls you to “come to” Him before He gives you a “go to.”
- You can’t respond to His call, if you don’t hear His voice, so learn to listen…Its the privilege and responsibility of every believer, as Jesus said in John 10:26-27 But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
- God called the prophet Jonah to prophesy...He calls you within your gift zone, but out of your comfort zone.
- God called Jonah to “the great city” – He calls us to place, people’s & His purposes…
Live called today – there’s no better way to live!
Listen to my “The Call” message here, and follow part 2 of this epic adventure through “The Storm” on Sunday 6th.